Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hill's Music Now

Ok, so I haven't posted in a while. Really, not much has been going on here in Memphis. Shawn and I are both in our busy seasons at work. All work no play isn't very interesting. Opera Memphis has its production of Verdi's MACBETH this coming up weekend, so if you're in Memphis be sure to make it down for what's sure to be a great production. Ok, enough about work.

I decided that I wanted to share some of the music that I can't stop listing to right now.


Rebelution

This Santa Barbara based "California Reggae" band is lights out. Their killer beats and catchy lyrics put them in the top spot on I-Tunes. They were the number 1 downloaded reggae band on that site. My brother has been a huge promoter of this band, and if you live in Cali, be sure to make it out to one of their shows. You can check out their website for tour dates.
www.myspace.com/rebelutionmusic




John Butler Trio


We have a great music festival in May here in Memphis, and we are so lucky to get some big names in. (past bands I've seen include: Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Wolfmother, John Legend and many more.) JBT was a great surprise that I happened to catch last May. They're an Australian band, but the lead singer was born in the U.S. and tours here regularly. Be sure to check out their music: http://www.johnbultertrio.com/



Ray LaMontagne


My sister introduced me to him when I was home for Christmas. This sultry blues/soul singer has an unforgettable voice. This guy from upper New England sounds more like he was raised in the Blues clubs on Memphis and Mississippi. His 2004 debut album Trouble is a must have for your collection. You can hear samples of his music at: www.myspace.com/raylamontagne



James Morrison


This young up and coming British pop/soul singer/songwriter has a voice beyond his years. I think my mom was listing to him first, and my sister passed his name along to me! His debut album Undiscovered features must hear songs "You give me Something," "Better Man" & "Wonderful World." Check out his music at: www.myspace.com/jamesmorrisonmusic





On a hot single note: I just can't get enough of Ms. Mary J. Blidge's "Just Fine." Work it girl!

No comments: