Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Beale St. Music Fest




We had a wonderful music filled weekend here in Memphis. This is one of the weekends that I really look forward to. This year, like most, started out with rain on Friday night. When I say rain I actually mean thunder storms, massive downpours and crazy wind. We were able to catch one show before the rain really started coming down. We left and went to a party to meet up with some friends, then we were going to head back down to see Ben Folds and The Roots. Well, when we got there it started to pour so hard that my Gap anorak jacket circa 1997 didn't keep me dry at all. To boot, I was pushed by a ticket taker who was yelling, "SECCCCUUUUUUUURRRRRRRIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYY," like I was doing something wrong. She took me by both shoulders and pushed me off of the sidewalk into a the street which was more like a river. It was pretty funny considering 1 minute earlier she told us we could stand there! Worst part was, the rain didn't stop and Ben Folds and The Roots both cancelled. Johnny Lang and Sheryl Crow both ended up playing, but I wasn't about to stick around in the rain. When they came on I was half way home!


With all the rain comes lots of mud!



Shawn had a protopup everyday.....kind of sick



The rest of the weekend was beautiful and drama free. We saw the John Butler Trio, Buddy Guy and Matisyahu on Saturday. I have to admit that I was totally impressed by Matisyahu's show. He played a really long set, and during the last song he was pulling fans on stage. Our friend Mat, scaled an 8 foot fence and jumped up onto the 6 foot high stage to dance around! It was so classically hilarious!


We were pretty close to the action

Mat on stage with Matisyahu


Sunday we caught a little bit of the Aretha Franklin show and The Black Crows. Both were good performances and a great end to a crazy fun weekend!


Thanks to CC, Suniti, Mat, Bridget, Tony, Jen & Shawn for making the weekend so much fun!

No comments: