Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Blind Melon

First and foremost, I have to give a shout out to Kyle "Yogi" Yeend for giving me a heads up that Blind Melon was making a come back with a new lead singer. They went on a small tour and hit up the Gibson Lounge in Memphis last night. I had pretty much forgot that they were going to be in town until I received an email yesterday, so Shawn and I decided to head downtown and buy tickets at the door, and we were not the only ones. The line was almost a block long, but we finally got to the front and paid our $15!

You might remember this little bee from the summer of 1993. The song "No Rain" was a huge summer hit and it is that song that made me buy the album. Most people think of them as a one hit wonder, but if you were a true Blind Melon fan, you know that's not the case. This album is solid from the first tract to the last! I think I need to go out and buy that album again. I wonder if my brother still has my original copy?!?!?!This is the band now. They have a new lead singer, Travis, and while there are things about his voice that remind me of Shannon he definitely has his own thing going on! The concert was a great mix of all of the old BM tunes I loved and some up and coming new favorites. Their new album is coming out in March!

Going to concerts always creates new memories, but it also takes you back to a different time and place. This concert was no exception, this one took me way back. All the way back to Lake Tahoe, where we played "No Rain" on the jute box in the hotel arcade about 20 times in a row.

We ran into one of our friends at the show, and he said "This is the best show I've ever seen," and this guy has been to a ton of concerts. I'm sure that when he closed his eyes he went back to a different place and time too! It was so much fun to watch him gettin' down to music and singing at the top of his lungs. It reminded me why I love live shows!

Remember that music is a link to our past and the key to our future. In the day of Internet music, Itunes and all of the illegal downloading sites (which I do not support) it's so great to just get out there and see and support the bands that you love!

Save the music!

Hill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. This was also my first Blind Melon LIVE experience! We had a great time! Very Classy Venue, Great Band and a Rowdy Supply of fans! We've seen Blind Melon Many times since that night @ Gibson Lounge, But we've never seen a show that was any better than the Gibson Lounge Show. LONG LIVE BLIND MELON!!!! *Jason Flesher