Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"A Ribbon in the Sky"


WOW, amazing and wonderful are the first words that come to mind when I think about Sunday night.......my first Stevie Wonder concert! Yes, folks, he went on a mini-tour and Memphis was lucky enough to be one of his very few stops.

When Stevie first came on stage he gave a quick little talk about the reason for getting back on the road for the first time in over a decade. He said his mother came to him in a dream and told him to get his butt on the road and thank the people who have made his life so rich (we're not just talking financially!)

For those of you who know my mom, you know that she is a huge music lover......Stevie being at the top of her list. My brother was able to get them tickets to see Stevie earlier this year at the Concord Pavilion. I was so excited for them that they were able to see him. I really thought they'd be the only ones in the family to get to do that. I am soooooooooo lucky to have been able to see him too. The one thing that would have made it even better was if my sister could have been there with me!

My sister and I were at a Ben Harper concert quite a while back, in fact, I think it was 7 years ago, crazy, anyways, Harper did a cover of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition." The cover was amazing, and we really thought that was a close as we could get to seeing that song live by an artist that we love and respect. You can imagine the excitement on my face when I heard that ever so familiar base line start up on Sunday night.

I'll have to admit when the first note came out of his mouth I got a little chocked up. Stevie really takes me back with each of his songs taking me to a different place. Most of those memories take place in our house on Dogwood Dr. or Trintel Ct. My mom would always blare Stevie Wonder to wake us up on a Saturday morning. It was also an indication that there was a "list" of chores for us to do. Stevie started to sing one of his up-tempo songs (sorry, totally drawing a blank on the song) and I turned to Shawn and said "I don't know if I should get up and dance, or go upstairs and clean the bathroom!" Of course he got a kick out of that. I better watch out, he might start blaring Stevie to get me to clean our house! :)

On a final note, artists seem to always put on a great show in Memphis. The music history inspires them to sing old Memphis classics. Stevie was no exception, he did Issac Hayes, Elvis and Otis Redding covers. His Redding cover was "Dock of the Bay" one of my all-time favorite songs. It was truly a magical night that I'll never forget.

Here are some other artist I've seen be inspired by the blues of Memphis. I find it quite ironic that a city that now a days can be pretty uninspiring, brings complete inspiration to the following:
John Mayer
Justin Timberlake (Elvis' Heart Break Hotel)
Amos Lee
Ben Harper

I know the list goes on, but these are all people that I've seen here in Memphis in the past year!

Well, that sure was a windy entry!
Love from Memphis,
Hill

No comments: